Post by castillofuentes23 on Jun 12, 2009 21:56:34 GMT 7
To me, his presentation was quite a wake-up call.
What's your opinion?
i admire charles clarke, in fact i'm a fan, the man has written highly respected books for heaven's sake!
but let us be realistic, poaching is not the most dangerous thing out there. long ago poaching victorian style was dangerous to the wild plant populations but now they have, the weather, newly introduced species, and habitat loss to contend with. let's face it the weather is not the same as it was 20 years ago, monsoon rains have turned into tropical storms, and a lot of newly introduced species have proved to be a lot more vigorous in terms of growth compared to native species due to lack of predation. not just alien plants but also alien animals have proved fatal to some plants in the wild and not just for nepenthes. plus the fact that habitat loss due to fires and others, have reduced their habitats a lot, (think of the poor helpless nepenthes that burned when large tracts of sarawak rainforests burned several years back.)
AND DON'T THEY DARE F!#K#g BLAME THE SOUTH EAST ASIANS FOR THE DESTRUCTION OF NEPENTHES POPULATIONS! THEM WESTERNERS PIONEERED POACHING! one only needs to read plant history to know that they did.
* Nature should be discovered through the proper channels? These proper channels are, I suppose, Charles Clark and the old guard. It is no wonder he is scared ...... he is being left behind. Can the good-old-boys of nepenthes taxonomy keep up? I don’t think so. Should the collectors in Thailand wait for Mr. Kurata to finish his description of N. globosa? With all due respect, does he look fast and efficient? Instead of spreading fear . ...... get to work. Instead of being afraid of the speed of information exchange ...... learn to utilize it. Instead of hiding away in the back room of the museum to write your description ...... publish on the internet, share your information and cooperate with others, wilkipedia your work. Times have changed ..... less romance and less personal glory .... the Victorian era is dead. i absolutely despise idealists! the pace of the world has quickened, one must be faster and a lot more efficient to deal with this. they cannot continue to do what their predecessors have done. because if they do they soon be displayed along side the antiquated in their museums
* And terrorists know where you live!
* It’s the end of the world!
* Who is “us” in this question? The only people that ever see documents are those authorities that issue and check them. Will any of "us" ever see any of Clarks' documents. i really do hope that these supposed existing documents be made accesible to the general public and not just for the academe
* We don’t want the SE Asians too interested! It was better when it was a bunch of stuffy white guys! and for his information we are several hundred years behind, it is only now that we have paid attention to these group of plants and this is what we get! blamed for the eventual extinction of the nepentheses!
* We don’t want rapid communication. Information is dangerous!
* And what about porn? There is lots of porn. yeah and it travels faster than legitmate information
* This is happening. Is he saying that it is the fault of the internet? yes i distinctly read that he does
* How does this relate to the internet? i don't know!
* This would be nice. Who is stopping the scientists? (Forget the scientists .... most of this work can be done by technicians.) It’s for sure that Clark can’t be everywhere. Maybe the scientific effort needs to be quicker, more productive and more efficient. Maybe, if the scientists had more people looking over their shoulders and expecting results then, they would be encouraged to work harder and faster. The internet is most fearful to those most insulated and comfortable.
FEAR, FEAR, FEAR!
Instead of spending time proclaiming our need to keep information secret, hide our discoveries and dodge the boogie-man why not get busy with the work. Organize teams of researchers, share information, and figure out how you are going to rise to the times and occasion.
if they were a government they would have been overthrown
thatoneplantboi: Hey guys, I'm new to growing nepenthes, I'm getting a mini indoor greenhouse to grow them in. What kind of light should I use for them? Also, if you could provide a link to a product, it would be very much appreciated
Oct 5, 2017 10:16:29 GMT 7
borneo: Yes, they work superbly. But you don't need expensive lights, cheap ones work well too.
Sept 2, 2018 14:34:57 GMT 7
mylesg: i havent checked in here for a while, why does it seem all the CP forums have lost their once strong activity? the trade/sale section used to be so active and now its a ghost town. where is everybody hanging out these days for a strong online CP community?
Dec 9, 2018 3:15:01 GMT 7
mylesg: Happy holidays to everyone out there!
Dec 26, 2018 0:23:13 GMT 7
lance: Everyone left the forums and moved to facebook groups.
Oct 2, 2019 12:09:05 GMT 7
mylesg: yes, facebook groups will never have same feel as this place once did
Nov 3, 2019 8:34:22 GMT 7
etiennecancio: perhaps we can try to revitalize the old forums? i always found them to be much more convenient than facebook groups at least hah
Nov 4, 2019 17:01:25 GMT 7
mylesg: i refuse to abandon this place, i am posting in my grow thread with many photos and always there to answer any questions just built new grow room and tons of pitcher shots!
Nov 6, 2019 21:17:59 GMT 7
vidyut: hey mylesg. glad to hear that. Love this forum. Facebook can't organize knowledge like this. Will participate as much as I can.
Nov 25, 2019 5:37:09 GMT 7
vidyut: Photobucket has ruined this place and many other forum archives with years and years of photos worth referencing now blurred. Priceless information hostage to services once free, begging for adoption, arbitrarily monetized.
Nov 25, 2019 16:28:58 GMT 7
bonfield: This forum is almost at 13K total threads, I can't wait to read the topic that pushes it past the mark!
Dec 3, 2019 8:27:58 GMT 7
arvin555: I do not like FB forums because it is difficult to read back Archives. Let us keep this forum alive!
Dec 9, 2019 11:14:09 GMT 7
mylesg: just posted ton of new pics in my thread!
Feb 9, 2020 3:40:25 GMT 7